20110913

Ayurveda attack

Ayurveda is a holistic, traditional Hindu system of medicine, psycology, lifestyle and health. It puts a lot of importance on the balance of the three different doshas; Vata (air and space), Pitta (fire and water) and Kapha (water and earth). If these three energies are balanced, the body will be healthy. A good metabolic system and digestion is one of the most important things to keep this balance, as far as I've understood. It also says that we all have a unique combination of the doshas, which defines our character and temper. You can take a test here to find your type! Probably not very scientific, but kinda fun. I'm supposed to be a Pitta-Vata. I'm not claiming to be an expert on this field at all, just to put that straight, but I do find it kind of interesting. Especially since I just found a recipe used in ayurveda as a fasting food that cleanses the body of toxins and improves digestion. There is, in other words, nothing not to like about this. It's called kitchari, and there seem to be a thousand different ways of making it, but all the recipes I've seen include split mung beans and ghee (a clarified butter made from cow or buffalo milk). People always accuse me of using weird ingredients in my cooking, and this time even I had to give up, because I couldn't find ghee anywhere and substituted it with coconut oil. I hope the ayurveda fanatics will forgive me for that. I did however manage to find split mung beans (it's apparently very important that they're split) in my favourite barrels at Whole Foods.


So, if you want to become a balanced and harmonic human being, eat this for three weeks straight. Nah, eat it whenever you feel like it. It's probably also good with some chicken, chorizo or other animals, but then it won't really serve its purpose as a cleansing food. I'm aware that everyone is not as into that as me however, so do whatever you want peeps. Enjoy it, is my best tip!


Heat a teaspoon of mustard seeds in some ghee (or oil) until the seeds start popping all over the place. Add a teaspoon of the following spices: cardamom, cumin, coriander, turmeric. Then add whatever vegetables you like, as well as a green chilli and a decent piece of fresh ginger, all finely chopped. Fry this for a couple of minutes. Add a cup of split mung beans and another cup of brown rice together with a couple of liters of water. Bring to a boil, and then turn down the heat to let it simmer for around half an hour. Ta-da, you now have a super tasty meal. Oh. I have to admit that I cheated and added some salt. I'm addicted to the stuff, it's like heroin to me. I've managed to quit the sugar, but they can never take the salt away from me.

No comments: